Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Cake Wars!

I was in charge of my parents' cake on Saturday for their birthday (yes, they have the same birthday) My husband loves to bake cakes, and I have never met a man that is so particular about the way he makes cakes. Not to mention that he thinks he's the best at it, and that I cannot outbake him! Anytime there is a family gathering, he's the designated cake baker. I needed to challenge this, because I think I'm pretty amazing at cooking and baking! Here are some of his weird rules or whatever you want to call them
  1.    he only uses Duncan Hines mixes. When we first got married I bought some boxes of Betty Crocker cake mixes because they were on sale, and it was like I had commited a CRIME! He will not use them!
  2. he insists that the way he mixes the mix is like no other, and that's why they come out so moist and fluffy
  3. he also says he knows exactly when to take the cake out of the oven, which to me, the exact time to take a cake out of the oven is when it's BAKED!...I'm just sayin'
  4. and that the secret is also in the way that he frosts the cake
  5. Lastly, (which I will fight him to the death about) is that box cake mixes taste better than cakes made from scratch!
My parents are not fans of box cake mixes, and I think he felt a little offended that they didn't ask him to make the cake for their birthday.....they love him, but I'm their daughter so I WIN!
I found this chocolate cake recipe by Martha Stewart here Martha knows what she's doing, so I figured I would try it. It was AMAZING! The consistency of it, reminded me of the Linda's Fudge Cake at the Cheesecake Factory. My parents are also not big fans of frosting so they wanted me to frost the cake with real whipped cream. Needless to say, everyone LOVED the cake! It was good.....what did my husband say about it? "It's good, but still not as good as my Duncan Hines" GRRRRR!!! Whatever! LOL
                                          
                                               Here's a pic of my parents with their cakes

Yes, my mom is 4 years older than my dad. We tried to switch the cakes around on my dad, but he was not having it!





1 comment:

  1. I am four years older than my husband....that is the way to go :)

    ReplyDelete